The World's Leading baby mattress for the prevention of Flat Head Syndrome and Reflux
- SleepCurve mattresses are clinically designed by a world leading cranial osteopath, Philip Owen D.O., who specialises in baby head shape.
- The mattress incorporates a unique curve which will support your baby's head in a more natural way to aid comfort and has been proven to reduce the risk of flat head syndrome.
- The mattresses also helps to reduce colic, acid reflux and maintain your baby's body temperature.
Your baby's head on a flat mattress
- Babies skull bone are soft and malleable, particulary during the ages of 0 to 9 months.
- If laid regulary on a flat mattress their skull bones will change shape and their head becomes misshapen - a condition called Positional Plagioccephaly.
- Up to 40% of babies have this condition
Your Baby's head on a SleepCurve mattress
- When laid on a SleepCurve mattress the clinically designed curve allows for the baby's head shape and reduces the pressure so that the skull bones do not deform.
Watch Philip Owen explain how the SleepCurve mattress works in the video below.
Features of SleepCurve Mattress
Your baby’s temperature is very important and care should be taken to avoid overheating. Ordinary cot or crib mattresses trap the heat against your baby’s body and head leading to discomfort. SleepCurve® mattresses feature intergrated, rounded channels so excess heat can escape, leaving your baby comfortable and happy.
When a baby is lying on their back on a flat surface, the head is tilted down with the chin touching the top of the chest. This isn’t natural because it constricts the airways and a baby breathing like this is more likely not to sleep through the night. A SleepCurve® baby mattress allows the head to rest in a natural neutral position with the airways completely clear and babies breathing this way will be more comfortable and more likely to sleep through. Parents tell us that their babies sleep more peacefully and when babies catch a normal respiratory infection, they are less affected because the airway is in the natural, open position.
In a recent clinical study by Alder Hey Children's Hospital, 29 out of 30 babies with Flat Head Syndrome showed significant* improvement in head shape (cranial vault asymmetry) after using a SleepCurve® mattress. The report concluded that the SleepCurve® mattress produced similar results as a baby helmet for treating Flat Head Syndrome. The authors also commented on how much more cost effective the mattress was (as well as being less obtrusive and more comfortable for baby).
*Average head asymmetry fell from 16mm to 5mm over the 6 month period.
Acid reflux or posseting is unpleasant for your baby and is the cause of many a disturbed sleep. A SleepCurve® mattress has a gentle slope down towards the feet designed to help your baby, whilst still being totally comfortable and allowing your baby to sleep in a natural, comfortable position.
All babies’ heads have a pronounced bulge at the back. In the early weeks of a baby's life the shape and weight of the head is too much for the undeveloped neck muscles to control movement. As a result babies lying on a flat mattress will end up with their head turned to one side or another. The unique hollow of a Sleepcurve® mattress allows the baby’s head to turn more freely, which has benefits for the spine and the muscles around the spine as well as the neck muscles.
"The SleepCurve® mattress is amazing, it ticks so many boxes!"
"I initially decided to try the moses mattress as Elwood developed a slight flattening on one side of his head and I was told that the mattress could help, which it has, but it’s the other benefits which I like, for example when Elwood caught his first cold, the mattress was perfect for positioning his head so his airways were free and his sinuses never blocked. Day time was hard for him, but when night time came he slept right through. I highly recommend it"
Sherri Tai-Chidlow, mum to Elwood
from £89.99 FIND OUT MORE